Sunday, April 17, 2011

Pineapple Angel Food Cake - 2 Points

My poor house has been afflicted with a stomach virus for the last few days, so I have felt completely left out of the blogging world! Tonight, I am planning to take most of my time to catch up on your wonderful blogs. So, here is a very fast, easy recipe for you. Don't be deceived by the simplicity of this recipe; it is delicious. The sweetness of the pineapple is offset by that little bit of zip in the angel food. To be fair, I also have to warn you, this is one of those cakes you should share. If you leave it in your fridge, it will call to you in the middle of the night. 

Pineapple Angel Food Cake
1 large can crushed pineapple in juice
1 box angel food cake mix

1. Pour pineapple with juice and cake mix into a large bowl. Using an electric mixer, beat ingredients on high heat for 2 minutes. 
2. Pour batter into a greased 9x11" cake pan. Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes. 
3. Yields 20, 2 point servings (it is also very low in carbs, if you are diabetic)

It was my intention to take a pretty picture of one of the leftover pieces of cake, since I made it for a friend's birthday and didn't want to cut it before the party. However, there were no leftovers! (I swear, one guy ate four pieces. Don't get me wrong - I was quite flattered). Here is the undecorated cake on my desk at work, waiting for a layer of fat free whipped topping. 
And here it is with the topping. 
Do you have foods that are connected with random memories? Whenever I eat angel food cake, I always remember the TV show Highway to Heaven. When I was about seven, I saw an episode of that 80's gem with my parents and some of their friends. In the episode, the bearded sidekick bought his angelic comapanion an angel food cake - thinking it was what angels ate. All of the adults in the room laughed. I, having no idea that there was an actual cake called angel food, had to have the joke explained to me. I still didn't think it was funny, but at least I discovered a new kind of delicious indulgence.


9 comments:

  1. oh hope your household feels better soon and great cake

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are an inspiration. I made pasta with a cream sauce (can you say "point overload?") Hope you are all feeling better...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope everyone gets well soon! The angel cake looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope all in your family are better soon. Have a good week. (the cake looks lovely 2!!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious, Angela! Feel better soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thats one fabulous looking cake.Hope all your dear ones are well by now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks and sounds sooo good! I love desserts that call you in the middle of the night :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pineapple and cake I am in . Love them pineapple is weakness for my little one too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you and your family feel better!

    If I made this cake I would eat it all up myself since it's WW approved, lol.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments!