Sunday, February 6, 2011

Cornish Game Hens in Cranberry Sauce - 6 points

This was my second attempt at Cornish game hens. The first attempt was fine, but nothing special. Since this is an all white meat bird, very low in points, I was determined to try again. It seemed like every recipe I found involved a stuffing. As much as I love carbs of all kinds, I wanted to make a recipe that didn't use bread or rice. Finally, I found a recipe on WholeFoodsMarket.com that looked scrumptious.  I planned to follow the directions - I really did. But, well, I changed one little thing here and one little thing there until I had changed most of the ingredients.

This dish was so delicious! I thought that it might be reminiscent of Thanksgiving with the cranberry and poultry. Not so. The fruits had a light, tangy, tropical flavor that did not remind me of Thanksgiving cranberry sauce at all. The fresh taste of the sauce was the perfect compliment to the gamey, rich meat. It was the perfect dish to enjoy on a wintery night when spring seems a little too far away. If I didn't know it was six points, I would have felt guilty for eating something so indulgent.

Cornish Game Hens in Cranberry Sauce
12 oz frozen cranberries
1 medium ruby red grapefruit, peeled, seeded, and chopped
1 1/2 cups chopped mango
1/3 cup Splenda or other non-calorie sweetener
1 oz white wine
2 whole, skinless Cornish game hens
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper

1. Combine fruit and Splenda in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently to prevent sticking. Reduce heat to low, add wine, and cover. 
2. Cut hens in half along the side of the backbone. Salt and pepper liberally on both sides, being sure to get under arms and legs. Place hens in a casserole dish or large cast iron skillet.
3. From the pot, remove a 1/4 cup of juice only and pour over the hens.
4. Roast hens in 400F oven 25 minutes, or until juices run clear. Top with fruit sauce.
5. Makes 4, 6 point servings

Roasted hens...

 Hens with fruit sauce...




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments!